- US Visas & Immigration
Ask a Visa & Immigration Lawyer
US Visa and Immigration Lawyer
Online Now
 letters left
Answers to US visa and immigration questions
A Service of  A Service of The National Association of Foreign-Born     The National Association of Foreign-Born
Related Articles
Share This Article:
Click for Overview | See Related Articles box for more topics »

DS-160 Form (New) and Other US Department of State Forms

US Visas - Nonimmigrant Visas

DS-160 Form DS 160 Form DS160

International Money Transfer - International Money Order

This page provides visa application forms of the US Department of State, which begin with "DS" (DS forms are listed below). For all other forms, including USCIS forms that begin with "I", see USCIS Forms and Other US Immigration Forms, Fees & Filing Locations.

Should I File for My US Visa Using the DS-160 Form?

The DS-160 Online, Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, replaces current nonimmigrant visa application forms DS-156, DS-157, DS-158, and DS-3032 (which are still provided below).

When applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate that is using the new DS-160 form, you will use only one (1) form. The exceptions are Fiancee Visas (K-1/2) which still require forms DS-156 and DS-156K (below), and the Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor visa application, as explained below. The roll-out of the new DS-160 form began in 2010.

You should review the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website where you will be filing for specific how-to-apply information for nonimmigrant visas, including use of the DS-160 form. You can also access the DS-160 form directly here.

What Is the DS-160 Form?

The new DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, is a fully integrated online application form that will be used to collect the necessary application information from persons seeking a nonimmigrant US Visa. The DS-160 form will be submitted electronically to the Department of State via the Internet. US Consulates will use the information entered on the DS-160 form to process the visa application and, combined with a personal interview, to determine an applicant’s eligibility for a nonimmigrant visa.

All application questions on the DS-160 form, except as specially provided, must be answered in English (using English characters), and you must bring the DS-160 confirmation page with you to the US Consulate (do not bring your entire DS-160 application).

Treaty Trader/Treaty Investors and the DS-160 Form
If you are applying for a Treaty Trader or Treaty Investor Visa (E-1 or E-2 Visa), you will complete the DS-160 form. However, if you are applying as a Treaty Trader (E-1) or an Executive/Manager/Essential Employee your employer will also need to complete the paper Form DS-156E (below) until the new online DS-161 form is released.

Form DS-160 Photo Requirements

You can upload a photo with your DS-160 application. Please refer to the Photo Requirements for US Visa Applications for Form DS-160 photo requirements. If the confirmation page includes a photo image, then the photo upload function has succeeded and no separate print photograph is required.

If your confirmation page has an "X" in the box where the photo should be, it means that your photo upload failed. Therefore, you will need to submit one printed photograph meeting requirements along with the online Form DS-160 confirmation page. Please verify with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you are applying for specific instructions on how to attach your photo to your confirmation page.

Visa Application Forms (US Department of State)

Nonimmigrant Visa Applications

Immigrant Visa Applications

HELP! with the DS-160 Form and Other Visa Application Forms

  • Have a specific question? To help you find an answer quickly, we have placed "Ask a Visa & Immigration Lawyer" boxes on this page. Simply type a question in any of the boxes to receive a response online from a visa and immigration lawyer.

  • For assistance in your country, contact the nearest U.S. Consulate.

  • For inquiries on visa cases in progress overseas, contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate handling your case.

  • For assistance within the U.S., contact the State Department's Visa Office at 202-663-1225. You may also email a general inquiry to Be sure to indicate the general subject of your inquiry on the subject line (e.g., temporary religious worker visa), and do not expect an immediate reply. You may also write to:
  • U.S. Department of State
    Visa Services
    Washington, DC 20520-0113

Guides from Our Sponsors
Mortgage GuidesLearn to Study Guide
Health Insurance Plans
Your use of this website indicates your agreement to be bound by our Terms of Use. The information provided in this site is not legal advice, is intended to provide basic understanding in summary form, may not be comprehensive, is subject to change, and may not apply to you. Your individual circumstances should be confirmed with the appropriate government agencies or an attorney.
A Service of  A Service of The National Association of Foreign-Born
The National Association of Foreign-Born