- US Visas & Immigration
Ask a Visa & Immigration Lawyer
US Visa and Immigration Lawyer
Online Now
 letters left
Answers to US visa and immigration questions
A Service of  A Service of The National Association of Foreign-Born     The National Association of Foreign-Born
Related Articles
Share This Article:
Click for Overview | See Related Articles box for more topics »

Birth Abroad / Child Born Abroad
to a US Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States

Family Immigration Green Cards

Birth of Child Abroad Child Born Abroad Outside US Citizenship Permanent Resident

International Money Transfer - International Money Order

US Citizen Parent(s) Citizenship Concerns

  • A child born abroad to two U.S. citizen parents in wedlock acquires U.S. citizenship at birth, provided that one of the parents resided in the U.S. prior to the child's birth. No specific period of time for such residence is required.

  • A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent in wedlock acquires U.S. citizenship at birth, provided the citizen parent was physically present in the U.S. for the time period required by the law.

For a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen out of wedlock (or more specifics on the above situations), click here.

You should report the birth of a child abroad (outside the United States) to establish US citizenship. The birth of a child abroad (or overseas) to a U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to establish an official record of the child's claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is a Consular Report of Birth of a Citizen of the United States of America, or Form FS-240. This document, known as the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, is a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 is furnished to the parents at the time the registration is approved. A Consular Report of Birth can be prepared only at a U.S. embassy or consulate. It cannot be prepared if the child has been brought back into the United States (although a different document may be requested - see the next two paragraphs), or, if the child is 18 years of age or older at the time the application is made.

If the child returns to the U.S. without a Form FS-240 being filed, an application may be made for a Certificate of Citizenship. Obtaining this certificate involves presentation of basically the same documentation required to obtain a Consular Report of Birth. Under law, the Consular Report of Birth and the Certificate of Citizenship are equally acceptable as proof of citizenship. File USCIS Form N-600 (Application for Certificate of Citizenship) with your nearest USCIS office.

A U.S. passport is also proof of citizenship. Click here for a list of the documentation needed to obtain a U.S. passport -- you will need to apply in person to the nearest U.S. passport agency.

Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card) Parents

A child born abroad of legal permanent resident (Green Card) parents may enter the U.S. without a visa provided the child is accompanied by a parent upon that parent's initial return to the U.S. within two years of the child's birth with documentation showing the parent-child relationship. If the child is not brought back to the U.S. when the parents initially enter the U.S. (following the birth) within this time period, the child must obtain an immigrant visa to enter the U.S. In this case, the legal permanent resident parent(s) must file an immigrant visa petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (see Green Card to Bring Child or Children to USA for Immigration on Immigrant Visa).

Request a Copy of a Consular Report of Birth

If you were born in a foreign country to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, and your parent registered your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate in the form of a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240), and you would like evidence of your birth and United States citizenship, you should submit a written request which includes the following five items:

  1. Your full name at birth, and date and country of birth.
  2. Parents' full names, including mother's maiden name, and their dates and places of birth and nationality.
  3. A daytime telephone number.
  4. You or your parents' notarized signature. A legal guardian's signature is acceptable only when accompanied by a certified copy of the guardianship papers or court order of adoption.
  5. A $30 fee (check or money order made payable to the Department of State).

All requests should be mailed to:

Passport Services
Vital Records Section
Suite 510
1111 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20522-1705

For detailed information on requesting Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, click here.

Establishing US Citizenship Later

If you were born in a foreign country to a U.S. citizen parent or parents and your parent did not register your birth in the form of a Consular Report of Birth FS-240, you may apply to USCIS for a Certificate of Citizenship, or to a U.S. passport agency for a U.S. passport to document your U.S. citizenship.

Help! with Birth of a Child Abroad

  • Have a specific question? To help you find an answer quickly, we have placed "Ask a Visa & Immigration Lawyer" boxes on this page. Simply type a question in any of the boxes to receive a response online from a visa and immigration lawyer.

  • If you are currently outside the U.S., contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy for more information.

  • For advice in the U.S. on your specific situation, call the Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 202-647-5226, or the Visa Services office at 202-663-1225.

  • You may also contact your nearest USCIS office, or the USCIS toll-free information service at 1-800-375-5283.

  • If you would like to apply for an immigrant visa for your child, see Green Card to Bring Child or Children to USA for Immigration on Immigrant Visa
Guides from Our Sponsors
Mortgage GuidesLearn to Study Guide
Health Insurance Plans
Your use of this website indicates your agreement to be bound by our Terms of Use. The information provided in this site is not legal advice, is intended to provide basic understanding in summary form, may not be comprehensive, is subject to change, and may not apply to you. Your individual circumstances should be confirmed with the appropriate government agencies or an attorney.
A Service of  A Service of The National Association of Foreign-Born
The National Association of Foreign-Born