- US Visas & Immigration
Ask a Visa & Immigration Lawyer
US Visa and Immigration Lawyer
Online Now
 letters left
Answers to US visa and immigration questions
A Service of  A Service of The National Association of Foreign-Born     The National Association of Foreign-Born
     This Guide
Share This Page:
Click for Overview | See "This Guide" box for contents »

Social Security Overseas: Apply for Social Security Number (SSN), Card, or Benefits Abroad - Outside the United States

Social Security Guide

Social Security Overseas Abroad Apply SSN Card Benefits Outside USA

International Money Transfer - International Money Order

Notify Social Security of Overseas Change of Address
If you are a Social Security beneficiary planning to leave the U.S. to live abroad, you should report your change of home address before you leave (even if your Social Security payments are being sent to a bank).

You may report your new overseas address by calling the Social Security Administration (SSA) toll-free at 1-800-772-1213, or contacting your nearest Social Security Administration office.

Social Security Cards Abroad

Generally, the only individuals outside the U.S. who are eligible to apply for an original or replacement Social Security Card are U.S. citizens or aliens who have been granted the right to work in the U.S. by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you need one and are eligible to apply for a Social Security Card overseas, you should file "Application for a Social Security Card - Foreign Service (SS-5-FS)" at the nearest US Embassy or Consulate (where forms are also available).

Social Security Benefits Abroad

You may apply for Social Security benefits overseas. However, you should read the publication "Social Security: Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States" which explains how your benefits might be affected if you are living abroad. Among other things, this publication explains the following:

  • How benefit payments are made outside the U.S., including countries in which direct deposit is available

  • Taxation of benefit payments

  • Conditions under which payment may be made to beneficiaries outside the U.S. who are not U.S. citizens

  • What you need to know about Medicare while you are overseas (health services obtained outside the U.S. generally are not covered by Medicare)

  • How work outside the U.S. may affect your benefit payments

  • Events that must be reported by beneficiaries outside the U.S.

Social Security Offices Overseas

In countries where there are a relatively large number of Social Security customers, U.S. embassies and consulates have personnel who have been specially trained to provide a full range of Social Security services abroad. Click on the appropriate country name for contact information, including email, phone, fax, and mailing addresses.





Costa Rica



Dominican Republic





Hong Kong







New Zealand









United Kingdom


If you are in Canada, British Virgin Islands or Western Samoa, you may obtain services from a Social Security Administration Field Office. Click on the country below for information:

If you are in any other country, you may contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or call the Social Security Administration's Office of International Operations directly at 410-965-5404, or send a fax to 410-965-6539 (these are not free calls). Calls are answered only in English and during normal business hours for the Eastern U.S. You may also write to this office at:

Social Security Administration
Office of International Operations
P.O. Box 17769
Baltimore, Maryland 21235-7769

 Back    Next
Page 9 of 10
Guides from Our Sponsors
Mortgage GuidesLearn to Study Guide
Health Insurance Plans
Your use of this website indicates your agreement to be bound by our Terms of Use. The information provided in this site is not legal advice, is intended to provide basic understanding in summary form, may not be comprehensive, is subject to change, and may not apply to you. Your individual circumstances should be confirmed with the appropriate government agencies or an attorney.
A Service of  A Service of The National Association of Foreign-Born
The National Association of Foreign-Born